SITUATION OF PROF. SISON IN THE NETHERLANDS
Prof. Jose María Sison was born on 8 February 1939 in the Philippines.
He has been living for more than 23 years in Utrecht, The Netherlands first as Utrecht University research consultant since 1987 and then as a political refugee since 1988.
Yet, he is NOT allowed:
1. to have permanent residence
2. to have a living allowance or to have a job
3. to have housing under his name
4. to have regular health insurance as refugee
5. to have social insurance and old age pension
6. to travel freely outside of the country, particularly in Europe
GRANT PERMANENT RESIDENCE TO PROF. SISON!
Let Prof. Sison live a normal life! Grant permanent residence! Let him have basic human rights!
Joma Sison is a recognized political refugee under the Geneva Refugee Convention, specifically under its Article 1 A.
He has lawfully and peacefully lived in The Netherlands for more than 23 years.
He has never committed any criminal act against the public order and national security of the Dutch state or any other European state. The European Court of Justice has ruled that he is not a terrorist and has removed him from the blacklist of the European Union.
Because of his staunch opposition to the Philippine government, his passport was canceled while visiting the Netherlands in 1988. Since then, he has been requesting the Netherlands to grant him asylum and a residence permit.
Just like other long-time residents of the Netherlands, he should be granted a residence permit. He must be granted his basic rights and fundamental freedoms. He must be allowed to practice his profession as a political science teacher. He must be allowed to contribute his best in the peace negotiations between the National Democratic Front of the Philippines and the Government of the Republic of the Philippines.
Please help us by contributing your voice, donating money or volunteering your time. You can:
1) Sign the petition appealing to the Dutch government to grant Prof. Jose Maria Sison a residence permit. Visit
2) Donate to the International Committee Defend to pay for the legal expenses, administrative costs and the holding of
various public meetings. You can send your donations to:
St. Rec. Oud Kath Kerk Ned
Account number: 404573932
3) Volunteer time to the International Committee Defend, to gather signatures, collect donations, build up contacts and
networks and the like.
You can contact International Committee Defend at: firstname.lastname@example.org